LISTENING – the ability to attend to and distinguish both environmental and speech sounds from one another.
* alertness (includes location)
* memory (sound pattern concepts)
RHYME - the correspondence of ending sounds of words or lines of verse. Rhyming is the ability to identify words that have identical final sound segments.
* judgment (identify same or different)
* production (produce word with the same final sounds)
WORD AWARENESS - the knowledge that sentences consist of words and that these words can be manipulated.
* pointing (words on page--notice spaces)
* counting (number of words in sentence or phrase)
SYLLABLE AWARENESS – the ability to hear parts or segments of phonemes that comprise the rhythm of the word.
PHONEMIC AWARENESS - the ability to attend to, identify, and manipulate the sounds that are representative of graphemes in the English language.
* exposure to alliteration in text
* initial sound identification/comparison
* sound/symbol correspondence
* final sound identification
* phoneme counting (with and without visual aids)
* phoneme segmentation
* phoneme blending (synthesis)
* phoneme deletion
* phoneme substitution