Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda UFSD
Providing our students with the supports, tools, and diverse opportunities needed to meet the challenges of an ever-changing world
- Kenmore Town of Tonawanda UFSD
May 24, 2022 Letter from the Superintendent
May 24, 2022
Dear Ken-Ton Community,
We were devastated to learn of the terrible tragedy that unfolded at Robb Elementary School in Texas. For Western New York, this is even more difficult to comprehend following the recent events of hate and violence that occurred in our community. Our hearts and thoughts are with the families of the victims and the Robb Elementary School community.
The Ken-Ton School District places safety, security, and emergency preparedness as the top priority. Tragic incidents like this reinforce the critical need to ensure best practices are in place and followed in each of our schools. This includes comprehensive prevention measures, secure campuses, and solid emergency plans. Our security measures include:
- Development of single points of entry creating more secured entrances in all buildings
- Raptor, a nationally recognized screening tool, utilized in all buildings. Visitors to the buildings are limited and vetted appropriately.
- Installing state-of-the-art camera systems
- School Resource Officers located in both high schools
- Continued training of emergency protocols with all staff and students in partnership with local police agencies
- Continued implementation and practice of building-wide security plans in partnership with local police agencies
- Continued work with outside consultants such as Altaris Group, a nationally known expert in Gr. K-12 security, and our law enforcement partners on validating best practices, identifying improvement opportunities, training our staff, and maintaining strong emergency response procedures when necessary.
As we learn more about what led to this event, we will continue to carefully evaluate our safety and security measures to ensure the safest possible environment for our school community. Out of an abundance of caution, there will be an increased police presence in the vicinity of our schools on Wednesday, May 25th. Additionally, our school support teams are available for any student or staff member that may need it. We will always be here for each other as one Ken-Ton family.
Superintendent of Schools