We are so glad you are interested in learning more about Big Picture! Here you will get some basic information about the program.
What is Big Picture?
Big Picture is an innovative high school in the Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda school district serving grades 8-12. We are part of the Big Picture Learning network.
Who can attend Big Picture?
Ken-Ton students are the only students allowed to attend Ken-Ton Big Picture. Students are technically Kenmore East and Kenmore West students attending Big Picture at the former Kenmore Middle School building.
What makes Big Picture an innovative school?
Big Picture Learning has the philosophy that real-world learning and developing positive relationships are keys to student success. Here are some key components to our program:
- Students work in a small group of peers called Advisory. Each Advisory has a maximum of 15 students. Each Advisory has a main Advisor that loops with the Advisory each year to help develop a strong teacher/student relationship.
- Students in 8th grade gain real-world learning experiences through field trips called Leaving to Learn sessions with their Advisor.
- Students in grades 9-12 gain real-world learning experiences through an internship in a career of their choice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. These internships are credit bearing electives required for high school graduation.
- All students work on an Independent Project aligned with their passions and interests using research skills to incorporate the core content areas in their project. Ideally, the internship and project are aligned.
How do students get selected to attend Big Picture?
Students will visit the program for a 1/2 day to see how it looks and works and ask questions. These students are typically recommended by the home school counselor.
What are the next steps?
If you feel like Big Picture sounds like a good fit for the 2020-2021 school year, there is an online application for students and parents to complete. Here is the link for the application. Applications will be accepted until May 29, 2020. We will hold interviews for all students who complete the application by May 29, 2020.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
We are here to answer your questions anytime. Feel free to contact either of us with any questions you may have.
- Kevin Kruger, Principal
- (716) 874-8403 ext. 32306
- Anne Blenk, Program Coordinator
- (716) 874-8403 ext. 32305