H E R B E R T H O O V E R M I D D L E S C H O O L
The Visual Arts
Art in the middle school offers all students unique and valuable experiences especially appropriate at this transitional stage of their development. The artistic skills required for satisfying achievement in art are developed and the critical skills involved in appreciating art are introduced. Self-expression is stressed in the program, promoting the confidence and positive self-image needed at this age.
Art classes with an art teacher are provided for every student. Our New York State Standards provide objectives, content, and teaching approaches; and art teachers have the flexibility to vary programs to best meet the need of individual students. Specifically, the program includes:
- Art classes with an art teacher every other day grades 6-8; 20 weeks (one semester/two marking periods).
- A workshop environment for creative studio experiences in a wide variety of two and three-dimensional media to develop artistic skills and sensitivity.
- Informational and appreciation type activities to complement the studio work and develop critical skills.
- Additional enrichment options - individual/group projects, competitions, and shows.
- Help for students continuing the study of art in the senior high school as well as investigating for career options in the arts.