Donate Life (formerly Life Lessons)
Life Lessons started in the fall of 2004 after Unyts and the University at Buffalo (UB) were awarded a three-year grant from the Department of Health and Human Services to fund its creation and implementation. Today this multidisciplinary program (now known as Donate Life) assists groups of students at area high schools in the planning, development and implementation of a campaign to increase awareness about organ, tissue and blood donation among their peers. Students involved in the group at their school have an opportunity to develop leadership and communication skills and acquire a working knowledge of multiple aspects of establishing and managing an organization. Involvement in Donate Life provides students with skills they can apply in future academic and work-related activities.
Components of Donate Life are:
- Donation education – Representatives from Unyts explain the facts about organ, eye, tissue and blood donation and correct common misconceptions.
- Research – An expert from UB explains to students how the effectiveness of their campaign will be measured through surveys.
- Public relations & campaign development – A representative from Unyts will assist students in the development of ideas and campaign implementation.
- Leadership & public speaking – Donate Life group members will participate in presentations in front of their peers, school staff and their parents.
Donate Life Program Resources:
See Ms. Brandon down in the gym if you would like to join our club!It Does Matter.
- A Guide to Organ and Tissue Discussions (PDF)
- Donate Life Program Campaign Ideas (PDF)
- Tools for Teachers: Classroom Toolkit (PDF)
- Tools for Teachers: Decision Donation
- Visit the United Network for Organ Sharing Website (UNOS)